The flush valve is a part of the flash tank located in the middle of the toilet tank. Here, we describe the detailed guideline about how does toilet flush valve work. A flush valve includes the overflow tube, the hole, and the rubber tank ball or flapper. The hole helps in entering the water to the bowl when the toilet is flushed. The flapper covers the hole when the tank is full.
When the water transfers from the tank to the toilet bowl, the flapper easily sinks the water again to set up the flush valve. When the toilet flapper shut off the water to the bowl, then the fill valve brings water back. The fill valve is also known as the ballcock. After shutting off, the water goes back into the toilet tank to recharge for the next flush.
Next, the water inlet pipe on the flush tank allows water transfer into the tank. The opening and closing sections of the inlet pipe are controlled by the fill valve. The ballcock or the fill valve helps to move the water level by the attaching float in this. When the tank is full of water, the ball in the flush tank will be fully raised.
It works as an automatic signal to close the water inlet valve. This mechanism is specially designed so that water overflow stop. There is a wax sealing that is specially placed between the floor and toilet bowl to prevent any wastage or leakage of water from the toilet bowl. On the other side, there is a seal at the pipe joint below the toilet tank. This seal joins the toilet bowl. These all seals are made specially to prevent the leakage problem.
The flush valve follows the mechanism to flow down the water in the tube and the bowl by pushing out the components to the drain pipe. The flush valve is made with different parts. The trip lever in the flush valve work to move the water when you press the handle.
This lever is further connected to the flapper. It is joined by a chain or a steel rod. The flapper is made with rubber or plastic material. It closes the flush valve when the tank is filled with water. After filling, no flush can be done. The flush valve basically generates everything from the middle of the whole mechanism and moves water down to the toilet bowl. It helps to velar the bowl.
This is also connected to the overflow tube in most western toilets. This overflow tube works by sending the remaining water down to the flush valve into the toilet bowl if the inlet hose doesn’t close properly. Without the overflow tube or the inlet pipe, the water may fall on the bathroom floor.
The handle mechanism is not similar to the very bathroom. Because, the handles in these toilets are designed in various, so their way of the mechanism is different too. But most of them are press down type. When you press the handle down, the lever will automatically pull the connecting chain to the flapper. After pulling, the flapper will rise. The flapper then moves the water in the tank to flow down in the tube which is connected to the toilet bowl. By providing pressure, the water will rise in the tank. When the water has drained off completely, the flapper speedily goes back to its original position. If the flapper doesn’t work like this way, there will be water leakage.
So this is the basic work of the flush valve.
To know the work of the flush valve easily, you can follow these steps.
- After pressing the handle, the lever opens the colorful flapper. It allows the cistern to clear the toilet bowl through a mechanism known as ‘siphon.’
- Later, water generally flows from the cistern through small holes in the rim part. it washes the toilet bowl and flushes away the contents.
- You’ll find enough water flowing down from the cistern part for flushing the toilet by the water near S-trap. This trap produces a siphon mechanism that makes the bowl clean. It also makes sure to clear up all the remaining water. It will improve hygiene too.
- Later, the other components of the toilet are smoothly flushed down the main drain.
- After emptying the cistern, the plastic red float will fall downward and tilt the lever.
- The lever then will open the ball valve. These valves are known as ball cock. These are situated at the base of the cistern. Sometimes, it is placed on one side. This ball cock works like a faucet.
- For the ball cock, the water flows by pressure. It refills the cistern and pushes it back upwards. When the float reaches that level, the ball valve or ball cock suddenly switches off the water supply.
So this is the basic way of working the flush valve.